Chapter Two – The Pub

When I was a wee lass, perhaps 5 or 6 years old, my family took us for a camping trip in the English country side. The English weather lived up to its good name. It rained the entire time and the field was muddy. Before long, my wonderful father suggested the brilliant idea of taking me to a nearby pub. I realize now that it was probably at the request of my Mother, to get me out of her hair so that she could get the tent set up. (Thanks Mum) However, at the time, I just thought my Dad wanted to take me on a great adventure.
My memory of that pub is as keen as if I was there yesterday. The worn wooden bar top, darts and snooker tables, footy on the telly, and the stench of stale beer soaked carpets …. in other words….paradise! I was perched up on a tall bar stool and given a strongbow to sip. Oh what heavenly nectar, sweet as a hummingbird’s kiss! I was done with camping, this was what life was all about.
It made an indelible mark on my young mind and since then, it’s been my lifelong dream to have my own private pub in my own house.
Well, now we do, complete with plumbed in kegs. Here’s Derek pouring a pint:

The Bartender is in the house! Our bar stools are shown here in progress. More about that project below.

It includes a 9ft long custom maple bar top which has been in the works for a while.
It started about 8 years ago when in Reimer hardwood I came across a 9 ft, 2 inch thick by 14 inch flawless slab of maple. I decided that one day it would be our bar top. We lugged it around for several years before we made it here. With the kitchen reno designed, we realized that the maple slab fit the bar area perfectly – almost like it was meant to be.

We cut the map of Roberts Creek into the surface with the CNC. The top is made with tinted epoxy in about 8 pours – a tricky process.



Derek built a glycol cooled beer tower out of heavy steel tubing plumbed with food safe lines. (Of course he did)
The beer taps are the next project. They will be cut from maple and walnut, one for each beer style.


Today, I’m putting the last coat of finish on the 2 final bar stools. These feature four rather cheery local scenes (Georgia strait, Elphinstone, Granville Street and the unforgettable Vancouver Skyline) The beautiful stool legs were created by the incredibly talented Kelly Backs (our local blacksmith).





3D Printed Lamps

Finally getting around to posting these lamps. We are going through some pretty major renos this year including our kitchen with a bar area. (Yes, of course it’s going to have plumbed in beer taps, did you really need to ask?) We’ll also be installing hanging pendant lights over the bar top and I’d been thinking about 3D printing our own. This year we were involved in an art show as well as the Synchronicity Festival and I made the lamps my project. Designing these shades is super fun and addictive. I’ve probably made around 20 designs. These are the 3 we chose to show.

The left hand one is printed from wood filament, the center from copper filament and the right from PLA plastic. They’re all printed on Derek’s first 3D printer. That printer is probably 5 years old now and still going strong!


I think we will be going with a series of 3 of the PLA shades for the bar top. I’ll post a photo once the renos are done.


Derek designed and built another 3D printer for the shows which we will post about in the next week or so. It’s a powder bed printer. He is currently working on his 3rd printer. Hopefully it will be finished in the next couple of months.

PLA Lost “Wax” Casting

TL;DR: It works, try it.

I finished off the furnace with another couple of pounds of refractory cement, and let it dry for a couple of days, then fired it slowly over a few hours to burn out the rest of the water. Things looked solid, so the next step was to try and cast something. Of course, my first thought was to “forge” some currency, and the results are below:

BTC: Meatspace Edition

It looks like I needed to burn out the PLA for a bit longer, as things bubbled and hissed a bit when I poured in the Metal. The plaster definitely needed more burnout too, since it cracked and released some steam, but overall, the process works. Just be patient with the burnout, and run it for a really long time to make sure you get all the water out (and/or keep your investments thin as you safely can).

Overall: Success! I’ll be doing Aluminum next, casting some 80/20 compatible parts for my new 3d printer design.