This years Maker Faire prep has been a lot less stressful than last years. It’s at the PNE this year and I’m SO looking forward to a bag of hot mini doughnuts. We’ll be heading into Vancouver tomorrow with all our stuff including Derek’s 3D printer:
I have been having some issues with insufficient bed adhesion, especially when using some less than stellar PLA, so started experimenting with a variety of bed treatments. ABS paint, bluetape and Kapton all worked pretty well, but the new, all time champion is now PVA/Weldbond glue in an ultra-thin layer, only a few molecules thick, which gets the strongest (perhaps too strong) bond I have ever managed. This thin layer completely eliminates any corner lift, and prevents the tape from being pulled off of the bed as well. As a bonus, the heated bed doesn’t have to run as hot.
Here’s a brand new clock we’re in the middle of making. The top shows the design, below that are a few snapshots of the first two layers cut. The base layer is a 2 inch thick slab of walnut, next is the maple, the top layer will be tigerwood. That’s the orange top part in the drawing. We will be cutting the tigerwood this afternoon. We’ll bring is along to Maker Faire in whatever stage of completion it happens to be. This one is much bigger than our first clock, measuring about 2ft wide….working our way up to a grandfather clock.
Well the pub sign is finally done! We’ll be bringing it to Maker Faire this year but it’s final home will be above our kegerator beside the bar.
We cut the sign on our big CNC from scraps of HDU (High Density Urethane) kindly given to us by Dan Sawatsky of Imagination Corporation. Dan is pretty much the world’s greatest sign maker and a huge inspiration.
Phew! I think it’s time for a beer.
Spring is here, the sun is shining and I’m working in the shop! Life is good.
We’re starting to gear up for Vancouver Maker Faire 2012. First project to finish off – the Fox and Raven pub sign! This one has been sitting on my work bench for far too long.
I finally started the painting this week. Here’s the progress so far:
You may notice a sign making beginners mistake (I’ve made several) painting before gluing on the letters. I thought it would be easier to paint this way but now I’m wondering how the hell I’ll get the letters to stick.
I should probably be posting a bit more often, so here is a video of a recent test print of Mr. Alligator. The trick here is the crazy speed, and also the vibration of the pulleys. More coming soon!